Apr 1, 2010

All For Nothin

So about a month ago I wrote about breaking my tooth, my beyond "ir"rational fear of dentists and my plan to work around insurance so that I wouldn't have to pay as much if I just waited a month.

So now it's the beginning of April, the date the coverage with my health plan kicks in and I called to finally get a price quote and make an appointment.

Turns out I'm not a very bright person. I thought I understood how insurances work. Evidently I don't. I guess that dental plan that was part of my health plan that was "such a better deal" is actually a discounted insurance plan, which I'm not entirely sure what that even means. Except that my crown and possible root canal are not covered and I have to pay what I would have paid a month ago through the old plan.

So I waited a month for nothing.

And I was hoping the Aetna insurance would cover putting me out for the procedure so I would just sleep through it, but I guess not. The GEHA insurance won't cover it unless it's necessary, so unless I wanna pony up another $300, it'll be local anesthesia. Which I am not happy with at all.
I hate that I wasted my own time. I hate that I didn't look into the Aetna plan more. I hate that dental coverage in general sucks. Not to mention that we have a few other rather large sums of money that have to be paid this month for various things. So it looks like a credit card will have to be used for something. And I really hate that.
So I'm extremely frustrated and annoyed right now. I hate the dentist, but I really need this tooth fixed, it's really annoying cutting up my tongue and using denture repair stuff to cover the hole so I don't get food and stuff in there. I'll be so glad when this whole ordeal is over. I'd really like to chew on my right side again.

2 comments:

  1. Oh... I feel for you. For 2 years. I couldn't get work done because of our horrible dental insurance. We were able to find a dentist that a) didn't charge thousands of dollars per tooth b) let us make interest free payments.

    Gah-- DENTISTS!

    ReplyDelete