Jan 3, 2011

2011

I hadn't really thought of a big "Farewell to 2010, Hello 2011" post. I realized last night that I'm not feeling particularly retrospective/forespective (is that a word? If not I call dibs) this New Years. Part of it may be because the holidays this year have just been a whirlwind of craziness, and I haven't had much chance to think about it. Or maybe, I'm just tired. I don't know, either way I don't have much. 2010 was a good year overall. Not spectacular, but good. It had its ups and downs, but overall I'm happy with the year.

Looking at my "Goals for 2010" post from last year, I'll review the year:

Travel: We still didn't travel as much as I had wanted. We did get our vacation. Not to The Mexican Riviera, but to Santa Barbara. Not quite as exciting, but it was still a great trip. We had a lot of fun and I still have a bunch of pics to post. I'm not going to set as many lofty travel goals for this year, but I am hoping to get at least a couple of weekend getaways in there. The big trip for the year will be a family reunion in Texas next Christmas.

Home: We did make some good progress towards making the house more of a home, and more importantly, our home. We got new couches and an awesome oversized chair that we love cuddling in. I got one more room painted and we got a new dishwasher. I've gotten rid of all the previous owners horrid curtains and put up new ones that are much more us. Oh and a brand new very expensive pipe in our front yard. You can't see it, but at least we can flush our toilets now with the secure knowledge that **stuff** won't come up the drain in our front yard. Of course there is still a lot more I'd like to do. We'll probably be getting a new oven/stove before the end of the year, completing our new appliances in the kitchen, and I'd like to paint another room or two. But we'll just see. At least all of the rooms in our house are at least functional now; I have a place to sew and workout and a place for friends to crash if needed, and a place for friends and family to hang out. So I'm happy.

School: It's official. I start grad school next week. I am excited and nervous. If all goes well I will complete the program in about 2 ½ years. I am really looking forward to getting more in depth with psychology and learning how to put into practice what I've already learned. I am really excited at the prospect that I will actually do what I want to do for a living someday. Maybe not in 2 ½ years, but this is a big step in the right direction. I'm sure many school updates will follow.

Work: I feel I have stepped up my work ethics. Maybe not as much as I could have, but I have stopped spending my days reading blogs or on message boards or writing emails. I have really focused on getting stuff accomplished quickly and well. I know I can still do betting and I will continue to work on this, but I am happy with the progress made.

Spirituality: I have grown in this this year as well. I had a kind of epiphany earlier in the year in regards to my faith and our infertility which brought me back to a place I hadn't been in quite some time. A few months ago Chris and I started going back to church and I love that we've been going. It's not always easy to get up early on a Sunday morning, but it's definitely worth it.

So all in all 2010 was a good year and I saw all of my hopes for the year realized in at least some fashion. It may not have been as monumental as 2009, but I think I needed a non-monumental year. I may post a "Hopes for 2011" a little later, but I don't know. Like I said, I haven't really thought too much about it. I'm fairly satisfied with what I have and most of what I want would be mostly a continuation from last year. But if 2011 stays in the same line, I think I'll be just as content a year from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment