Jan 19, 2010

2009

So, the long awaited continuation to my last post. I’ve had you on the edge of your seat, haven’t I? I know, I know, my life is just too riveting. But you can now breathe a small sigh in relief as I go on in the daily awesomness of my life.


So, 2009. Yes, I’m still on that topic, though most self-respecting people have so moved on to 2010. But 2009 was kind of a significant year for me. Several rather large events occurred in 2009, and I think I should at the very least talk to you about them. You’re welcome.

It’s hard to really determine what was the biggest even of 2009, so I’ll just go in order. Starting with me finally achieving my VERY long term goal of getting my BA in Psychology. I’m pretty sure I blogged about this quite a bit back when it happened. But, still significant enough to bring up again I think. This was huge for me. I wasn’t one of those that jumped right into college back when I was still young energetic and low on the responsibility food chain. No, I decided to waste those years traveling, working odd jobs and studying religion. Not that I regret spending my time in that way at all. But it did make finally buckling down and attending school full time while working full time and renting an apartment and married for the last few years of the journey, just that much harder. Last June brought to an end seven long years of working very loooong days, lots of papers, projects, reading and tears. And it was worth every second. I am very proud of finally getting my degree. I love that I had to fight for it every step of the way. Not that every student doesn’t fight for their achievement. But I take all the sacrificed weeknights and weekends, missed TV shows, sneaking study and paper writing time in at work as a badge of honor. It shows how bad I wanted this. At no point was it easy to go to class instead of coming home to my new husband or to spend a beautiful Saturday in my room reading or debate between the importance of studying for that final or getting that case review done for my boss. It was a struggle every day. And as cheesy as it sounds, I am better person for it.

The next big event tails on the last in a way. The day after my graduation I turned 30. I’m pretty sure I talked about this before too. And I really don’t have much more to say on it. Turning 30 wasn’t that huge for me. I think mostly because at the time I was so focused on graduating. And most of my sentiments on the last decade are in my last post, and the pretty much hold the same for turning 30. The only this I’ll add is that I just realized that I’m now closer to 31 than I am to 29 and that kinda freaks me out a bit for some reason more than turning 30 did. Maybe because I didn’t really get the chance to get freaked out about turning 30. Where the hell did this year go?

Next is buying a house. In July coming off the high of graduation I told Chris I wanted to either go on a big vacation or get a house in the next year. We decided the house would be the direction to go in. So we sat down and applied for a loan. The whole process was long and grueling and stressful. But we were so lucky and ended up getting the exact house that we originally fell in love with. I still love this house. I can’t wait to make it our own. We’ve started with little things here and there, and we know it’ll take time, and with a 30 year mortgage, we certainly have plenty of that. Buying a home was certainly a scary step but so well worth it. I love that this place is ours and no one else’s (yes, I know, I’m choosing to ignore that the bank technically owns 95% of the house). I love that I can paint and rearrange, we don’t have to ask anyone’s permission. It is really strange to have a place that belongs completely to us. My whole life I’ve lived in what other people have owned. It’s a completely different feeling to actually have this house to ourselves.

In addition to these “big events” 2009 was overall a good year for us. We really were blessed. Of course it had its drawbacks. In January of 2009 I was diagnosed with PCOS meaning it will be difficult for us to conceive a baby. 2009 was spent seeing doctors, taking blood tests, taking hormones and lots of disappointment. I am sad that all the good in 2009 is almost overshadowed by infertility. It was an extremely rough year. Lots of tears, lots of frustrations, lots of dashed hopes. I have no idea what’s in store for us in 2010, but I know I’m not going into this next year with nearly as much hope as I had a year ago.

So as for everyone 2009 had it’s high and low points. But all in all I have to call it a good year. But as always there is room for improvement. I’ll post soon, hopefully without as much pause with some of my hopes for the next year. I’ll try not to babble as much.

2 comments:

  1. I hope 2010 is your year, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very proud of all of your accomplishments, in the last year!

    ReplyDelete